Those Girls Next Door

People in this small town think we're sisters, but we're actually a legally married gay couple fresh from NYC. The more you find out about us, the more you'll see that we really are just those girls next door!

Monday, August 14, 2006

God calling!

I was running from one end of the house to the other Saturday morning, still in my pajamas and drinking coffee, when there was a knock on the door. I was sure it was my father or mother-in-law (they live 5 minutes up the road), or maybe my neighbor. I didn't really mind if they saw me in my pajamas with no bra on and drinking coffee, so I open the door and I see two young men in suits holding bibles and Watchtower pamphlets. I knew what those were--I lived frightfully close to the Watchtower headquarters in Brooklyn. They were messengers of God--the Jehovah's Witnesses. Our conversation that morning went a little something like this:

Suits: Good morning! We live up the street and you've really done a nice job fixing up the place!
Me: Yes, we worked hard.
Suits: I see you're having your morning coffee.
Me: Yes, I am.
Suits: Well, I was wondering if I could read something to you. (starts to open bible)
Me: Don't bother-I'm not Christian.
Suits: Oh. Are you another religion?
Me: No.
Suits: Oh. Are you an atheist, or...?
Me: No, not really.
Suits: Oh great! So you're not really sure if there's a God or how he works? (grin starts to spread on face--hope of being saved after all)
Me: Yeah, I guess. But I'm gay. So I have a hard time finding my place in most religions.
Suits: (Faces dropped) Oh.
Me: Thanks for stopping by and have a nice weekend!
Suits: Thank you, have a nice day. (Walking away befuddled)

I've never had anyone come to my door before wanting to help save me, and usually I feel bad cutting people off--I'm the type of person who will let sales people talk to me forever about their product, even if I don't intend to buy, because I just feel bad about it. But I'll be damned if I'm going to be a part of someone's mission to make me join a church I don't belong to, or believe in, in my own house. If I want to make my little house a den of sin, so be it.

I could tell by their faces they were surprised to hear about the gay part. But she looks so normal-and she lives right here in town! Oh well-at least I gave them something to talk about for the rest of the day! --cd

1 Comments:

At 3:37 PM, Blogger LD said...

Wait....YOU'RE GAY????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home