Those Girls Next Door

People in this small town think we're sisters, but we're actually a legally married gay couple fresh from NYC. The more you find out about us, the more you'll see that we really are just those girls next door!

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Free flowers from Miss Flowers

I'm trying different colors to try to match all the lovely flowers that will one day grow in the garden we spontaneously created on Friday. Well, not really spontaneous--we had to build up the side of the house along the foundation due to some sloping issues, plus we have no gutters, which means the rain pours down and potentially pours into our basement. Not good. So, now it's pretty, and S. is spending a good deal of time edging it with bricks we got from the old chimney we disassembled from inside the house--so that I don't mow the flowers down with the mower (did I mention before I have lawn mowers issues? They've very deep-seated).

We met a wonderful neighbor, Miss Flowers the Florist, who not only gave us a tour of her beautiful garden, but actually gave us 25 pots of perennials from her own garden. Can you believe it? She is our new hero. Miss Flowers can come visit us any time she likes! I think I'm going to have to do something nice back now, like make cookies or something. I don't think I should give her flowers, seeing as she is a freaking florist. I am no good at neighbor stuff. Growing up, I didn't really talk to my neighbors much, and my mother wasn't exactly the type to run next door and introduce herself to someone new in the neighborhood, so I don't know the etiquette yet. But I'm getting it. S. is excellent at it, and also good at gardening, so I think S. and Miss Flowers should become very good friends, both for the free garden advice and because she and her family are relatively normal compared to others on our street. Oh yes, the others on our street. That's a whole other post...
--cd

1 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger LD said...

We have "others," too. They are the ones who leave delapidated cars parked just next door...in the street...and throw their empty snack bags on our front steps. But we met our good neighbors the Philly way: they screamed across the street to us. I don't think I've ever had a conversation with the lady across from us without yelling from our front door to hers. It's friendly, huggy yelling, though...so it's ok.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home